Wednesday, December 14, 2011

A Mighty Tasty Salad

I took this recipe from one of my many Cooking Light magazines I have archived awkwardly in a bookcase.  Whenever I'm feeling completely uninspired I grab all the magazines I have from whatever season it is and see if I can find a good recipe.  I found a recipe for a broccoli slaw salad with some sort of Asian dressing and boy was it delicious!  Super flavorful and a great accompaniment to marinated chicken and roasted acorn squash (and now I'm painfully full).


You can use as much of the following as you like, depending on how many people you are serving and how much you like of each ingredient.


For the slaw, mix together the following in a large bowl:
*One large carrot, shredded with the veggie peeler so you end up with long strips of carrot.
*Broccoli with the crown chopped into small pieces, and the stem peeled and julienned.
*Sliced water chestnuts
*One scallion, chopped
*Cucumber thinly sliced (or celery would be good too...probably better)
*A little less than one package of ramen noodles, crushed.  Throw that disgusting packet of preservatives away.


For the dressing:
1/4 cup low sodium soy sauce
1/4 cup rice vinegar
1 Tablespoon Agave or Honey
1 Tablespoon fresh lime juice
1 Teaspoon crushed red pepper
1/8 Teaspoon ground ginger
1 garlic clove, crushed (or some garlic powder)


Mix all of these together with a whisk then slowly add 1/3 cup canola oil.  Toss the dressing with the slaw then top with a few mandarin orange wedges.


The original recipe called for Napa Cabbage, sunflower seeds and toasted, sliced almonds, which would be delicious.

No comments:

Post a Comment